- New VNXe3200 shatters the simplicity and efficiency of entry-level storage – supporting 3X the number of virtual machines as the previous generation VNXe in the same small footprint.
- EMC announces ‘Project Liberty’, previews future virtualized storage software based on VNX that leverages the functionality and user experience of VNX, while uniquely delivering new levels of freedom to deploy applications with cloud-like agility in a software-defined data center.
- EMC adds Data-At-Rest-Encryption – EMC D@RE – to the VNX Series, providing the capability to encrypt data written to disk and eliminate data access from unauthorized drive removal.
VNXe3200 - Shrinks your storage, whilst delivering greater performance!
Introducing the EMC VNXe3200 Virtual Machine Platform - Shrinks your storage, whilst delivering greater performance!
The VNXe3200 is 3X more efficient than previous VNXe solutions, based on the next generation VNX series that was launched in September 2013. Powered by EMC MCx™ (Multicore optimization) and EMC FAST (Fully-Automated Storage Tiering) software, the new VNXe is designed to unleash the power of Flash.
Accelerating virtual applications and file performance by 3X compared to its predecessor in the same small 2RU footprint per 25 drives. The VNXe3200 supports unified protocols – iSCSI, Fibre Channel, NFS and CIFS for File Shares or Network Drives.
It builds upon the simplicity & ease-of-use the VNXe is known for, from setup wizards to management via your native Windows MMC Console Control Panel, Hypervisor interface like vSphere / HyperV console.
By leveraging MCx and the FAST Suite, the new VNXe system exceeds previous VNXe solutions in power, efficiency, and ease-of-use. The VNXe technology highlights include:
- Turbocharging mixed workloads by supporting 3X more virtual machines, 3X more virtual desktops, 3X more Microsoft SQL transactions and 3X more Exchange mailboxes.
- Simplified management with the ability to setup NAS or SAN in under 15 minutes with EMC Unisphere®. Users can also manage and deploy Microsoft applications 3X faster. There is also a new “get help anywhere” support feature through EMC Connect Proactive Support, as well as “set it and forget it” functionality through automated tiering with FAST, eliminating the need for manual performance tuning.
- More power in a small and efficient footprint. The new VNXe system supports hundreds of virtual machines and virtual desktops in just a 2U configuration. It reduces capacity requirements by up to 50% with thin provisioning and file deduplication, and leverages space-efficient snapshot technology to easily create copies of production data directly from Unisphere.
The VNXe3200 is also available in new VSPEX Proven Infrastructures, which delivers up to 125 virtual machines and 500 virtual desktops in a VNXe3200. These new VSPEX solutions can store up to 2,000 Exchange mailboxes and over 20,000 SharePoint users.
The VNXe3200, which starts at under US$12k, will be available in the second quarter of 2014 primarily through EMC’s global channel partners. The VNXe3200 is supported by the EMC Business Partner Program, which offers a complete set of partner-ready collateral, Express Solution bundles, and VSPEX reference architectures for simplified ordering, selling, and support.
EMC Unveils ‘Project Liberty’
Today EMC also announced ‘Project Liberty’, virtualized storage software that is based on the industry-leading VNX Family. Project Liberty leverages the rich data services and ease-of management that VNX provides today, and offers this in a variety of flexible deployment models, whether on a virtual server or in a hybrid cloud for example, to meet varied and changing workloads and service levels.
To address increasingly shorter development cycles, IT must deliver a way to enable rapid application prototyping for quicker time to market. One use case for Project Liberty will be to empower IT to spin up several virtual array instances quickly, at a moment’s notice, to speed development of new applications such as test and development. Project Liberty will enable these new applications to be seamlessly deployed on physical VNX storage systems with higher service levels – all while enjoying a consistent management and rich user experience.
These applications could reside anywhere – whether it’s remote office, central office, or in a cloud. With Project Liberty, customers will benefit from the agility and efficiency of a hybrid cloud.
Redefining Security in the Midrange
In addition, today EMC also announced Data-At-Rest-Encryption for VNX – VNX D@RE. Since the introduction of the new VNX, customers are now consolidating more and more critical data on a single VNX, making security a higher priority. This is particularly true in industries such as healthcare, financial services and federal and state governments that require more control over sensitive information from increased unauthorized data access. VNX Data-At-Rest-Encryption (D@RE), is expected to be available on the new VNX Series as a non-disruptive software upgrade in the third quarter of 2014. It is designed to help customers protect data written to disk to eliminate data access from unauthorized drive removal, VNX D@RE uses controller-based encryption, which provides the flexibility to support any drive type, speed and capacity.
Brandon Robinson, Executive Director of Network Services, Aces Power
“The VNXe allows us to leverage industry-leading technology at an affordable price point. The VNXe3200 has improved our efficiency while improving our performance, allowing us to meet internal service level agreements. With the VNXe, we can easily scale our infrastructure as our business grows, or offer new services that our company can provide.”
EMC Executive Quote
Jeff Boudreau, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Enterprise and Midrange Systems Division, EMC Corporation
“We are thrilled with the market response to our new VNX– which has become a mixed workload workhouse for thousands of companies globally. Today, we’ve delivered on our ongoing commitment to our partners and customers to extend key enterprise capabilities, like FAST, MCx, and D@RE, to our entry level and midrange platforms – enabling our customers to further stretch their IT dollar and protect their investments. We’re especially excited about Project Liberty, which will give our customers more agility as they transition to hybrid cloud deployments, while still enjoying the same consistent VNX user experience.”
- At EMC World, attend the Super Session by Brian Gallagher, President, Enterprise and Midrange Systems Division on Monday, May 5 at 12p.m. PT to learn more about the VNXe3200, Project Liberty and VNX D@RE
- Read the EMC Pulse Blog Post on D@RE
- Read a brief and watch a video from Enterprise Strategy Group’s Terri McClure
- Watch customer videos from: Aberdein and Asystec, and ACES
- Read: VNXe3200 Hardware and Software Datasheets, Top 5 Reasons to Protect Your Information with D@RE
- VNXe3200 Animated Video and Demo Simulator
- Visit the EMC Store
- Connect with EMC via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn